Friday, June 1, 2007

Family Matters

I am no stranger from being away from my family. As early as ten years old, I left to train in the US for a significant amount of time when I was on the Philippine Gymnastics team, without ever seeing my siblings, seeing my dad for a few days only and my mom for only a couple of months collectively. When I left, Mio was an infant and when I got back, he was walking and talking already. In 2005, I also left to go to London on my own for 3 months when I took my make-up course. It was a bit different because I already had Ananda then, but at the same time, I enjoyed having my own time and getting away form everything that was familiar. Last year, I came back home to Manila for a 5 months and only saw my dad mostly as he came in and out of the country. Most of my travels have also been on my own. I enjoy travelling alone. It's the only time I can relax. I am usually stressed and harassed otherwise.

I mention this because I will again be apart from my family on and off for long amounts of time. At this time in my life though, it doesn't feel as exciting and "wala lang" as growing up. I think I feel this because I know we are all older, and this arrangement of us not all being in the same house, or even country will eventually become normal. When I get back, Mio may be in Uni already and not necessarily in NSW, or at least not the Sydney area. Ala may have a steady job and might have moved to Glebe or wherever. I, of course, want to settle down until my citizenship-then maybe go to London (!!!) It's exciting because we're all old enough to make our own decisions regarding where we want to be and what we want to do, but at the same time it's a bit sad because of the same reasons-because we all want different things.

That's why I love hanging out with my siblings and my family-because I know that we're at that time where we probably will never really all be at one place at one time permanently anymore. It could always change. This makes me proud because we are choosing to follow what we each feel is right for ourselves, but it also makes me miss them a lot. I see my mom and dad chatting, emailing and calling their siblings all the time.

I guess you never really get completely used to it.

No comments: