Friday, May 25, 2007

Back in the motherland

So I'm back in really hot weather. Just when I was starting to like the chill that was coming in. But anyway, I really have to keep reminding myself of why I am here. Again. So soon. I am hoping that I made the right decision and in the end it will all be worth it when I go back.
Aaw Sydney. I miss you already. With your fresh mushrooms at every single supermarket. *sigh* I guess I am on mushroom strike once again.

Whenever I leave Manila for extended periods of time, I come home with a fresh outlook each time. I said in an old post from my old blog:

"I find that I discover a lot about myself-personal and culture-wise when I am not in the Philippines. My philosophy is to take everything in from everywhere I go and then keeping what works for me and throwing out what doesn't. I realize when I'm gone what I love about the Philippines and what frustrates me about it. Travelling really opens your eyes. Any form of it, whether you travel by car to a remote mountain province or you take 3 airplanes and 2 buses to Argentina. It doesn't matter whether you are on a 3 day trip to Hong Kong or a year long contract in Greece, you are ALWAYS a different person when you return. You will always learn something no matter how big or small when you go somewhere away from your comfort zone. There is no such thing as too much experience, there is no limit to what you can go through and learn, and travelling juts makes it all the more intresting."

Travelling is my ultimate vice. I love it. I can't get enough of it. It is definitely harder to just drop everything and leave at this time in my life because I have a daughter and I am working on something that needs care and attention right now.

Everytime I come home I am afraid to drive. Moreso when I just came back from a country with right hand driven vehicles. I get disoriented the minute I am out on the road (It's the same when I go back to Oz. I always feel at first that someone is going to hit our car or whatever) My license is also expired already. Need to put renewing it on my to-do list.

Everytime I come home, I am also very frustrated at sales people when I go to the mall. Why do they never ever know anything about what they are selling? Why do they refuse to make eye contact with you and why oh why do they either ignore you or tail you so closely you start to feel claustrophobic. Just yesterday I had an annoying experience at a department store. I was looking at these gladiator sandals that looked exactly like the brown ones I have but in gold. I got excited because they were so cute.

Me: Hi! Magkano itong sandals na to?
Salesguy: Hindi ko alam eh.
Me: *Blank stare like hello so you're going to leave it at that?* "Pwede mo alamin please?"
Salesguy: *Looks around* "Wala kasi dito mga kasama ko eh"
Me: *Getting more and more annoyed by the second* " Wala ka bang listahan na pwede tignan" -without hiding the annoyance in my voice.
Salesguy: *Picks up a completely different shoe* "P*** po"
Me: "Hello, ibang sapatos yan. Hindi naman yan yung tinatanong ko eh"
Salesguy: *Gives the Crappiest excuse known to man* "Bago lang kasi ako dito eh"

----ARGH! I HATE THAT EXCUSE. IT'S NOT AN EXCUSE, BUT THEY SEEM TO THINK THAT REASON IS GOOD ENOUGH AND YOU'LL GIVE THEM A PAT ON THE BACK AND SAY "AAW, IT'S OK!"

Me: "Kahit bago ka. Dapat alam mo mga bagay na yan diba. O kung hindi mo alam, mag hanap ka ng paraan para malaman. Mawawalan ka ng mga costumer ng ganyan and isa na ako don." *Walked away*

So annoying!

I also miss not having shops with trendy and cheap disposable clothes-like Valley Girl in Sydney or H&M in London. I mean, we have high street brands here like Top Shop and Zara but when put in the Philippine context, they become expensive and over priced. I do love my Top Shop though-something we don't have in Sydney *BOO* I will miss markets on Saturdays. I loved selling at Glebe. I met so many interesting people and saw so much cute stuff. The second to the last week I was there, I snagged a mint green croc skin bag, an aqua suede purse and a white waist belt all for $5 from these girls who were probably getting rid of all their old stocks of vintage to make room for new stuff.
I miss hangin' out and talking with my sister! And my brother (whos not in the picture hehe) At the Sydney Airport. Wait. Who is Kingsford Smith? Oh wait, never mind I just Wikied him http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Kingsford_Smith
Ananda and favorite Aussie friend Xavi. Their love-hate relationship is amusing to watch. Minsan gusto mo pagumpugin! haha!
Vince! Geraldine! Can you guys come here at the same time so we can wreak havoc here haha.

It's still good to be home although Sydney is also starting to feel more and more like it as time goes by. I have lots to do here. I'm changing direction of Peace Joe and even the name (To be announced later! hehe) Got new set cards made so hopefully can start getting more advertising gigs. Had a job interview yesterday with HR of one of the publishing companies here-for a low position, mostly writing, exactly what I want right now because I wanna do other things, but have a steady income and still have time to do (The brand formerly known as) Peace Joe and make-up of course! I saw a shirt in Top Shop that said "WHY CAN'T I HAVE EVERYTHING?"

Yeah, why can't I?

Well. I can. And I will. :D






1 comment: