Wednesday, June 27, 2007

There's more to life...

I just realized that a lot of people I know in Manila aren't very curious to know what is beyond the bubble they live in. I have always liked travelling and trying new stuff but I must admit that I became a lot more adventurous just a few years ago. Why is it that when it's somewhere abroad, we jump at the chance to go but if it is a place in the Philippines, it doesn't seem as exciting?

I've been wanting to go on all these tours and go to all these places to get to know the country that raised me. I think my sense of nationalism and Pinoy pride came full force when I was in London in 2005. I don't know why but since then, I have been curious and excited to go to untapped territory (untapped by me at least) and even go on the tours around Old Manila. My mom, sister and a few other people are starting off with the Binondo Food Wok. It's a 4 hour walking tour around Binondo wherein you can try the best of our Chinese quarter has to offer. I know it's been around, and that's what I mean-there's so much I have yet to see and experience. I don't want to be one of those well-travelled people, who when asked by a foreigner, can say nothing about the Philippines because they just don't know enough. I don't want to be one of those people, who when asked "Where should I go when I go to the Philippines?" the only answer I'll be able to give is "Embassy", "Piedra" or whatever.

I realized that migrating (however twisted my migration really is) to another country will bring a nationalistic surge to anyone. You don't want to be known as just "Asian" or "Pacific Islander" or whatever, you want people to know that you are FILIPINO. You realize that no matter how hopeless you think the state of the nation is, you will NEVER sell out abroad and agree when people put the Philippines down. You'll defend it no matter what.

It saddens me sometimes that most people in our own country, don't really care to really see what we are about. There are so many Filipinos abroad who can't come home and so many countries that have been ruined by war or poverty that their inhabitants don't have the same the same priviledges we do in terms of paying homage to the land that made them who they are.

Maybe I'm being overly-dramatic, but I guess I'm just wishing that more people I know would care to go somewhere other than the mall to shop or to hang out and drink. I like discovering new places and talking to new people. I even like talking to complete strangers even if I know I may never see them again. You just never know what you'll learn!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have been out of Pinas for 13 yrs and I would love to see more of it. I guess, its this mentality of "you wont miss it until its gone or out of reach". Good that you are taking time to explore. I would too if I was there.