Saturday, July 28, 2007

Kopi-tiYUM!

The other day, I ate at this place called Kopi Tiam. It's located in Horseshoe and owned by the same people who brought us North Park, Next Door and Tiananmen Bar. From that information alone, I knew I was going to like the food. North Park has always been the best cure for a hangover, the best companion when you need comfort and the best thing to eat when you are famished. Tiananmen, on the other hand, has served me many of my kurrant 7's and their five spice fries are to die for!

So, Kopi Tiam literally means Coffee Shop, and it has everything you would expect a cafe to have. The minute you enter you see a buffet of rolls, breads, cookies, cakes and other desserts laid in front of you. On the menu are also things you crave for, a.k.a comfort food. I tried the Binondo Mami, which your basic mami noodles with a truckload of things on it-it has 2 pcs of siomai, wanton, asado pork, boiled egg and a chicken fillet to be exact and it's something I would totally love after a boxing session or if I'm going through a break-up. We also tried the Snowfish and oh my gosh! This one needs to be ordered by those who love sea bass! It won't cost you as much pa! It's served with a mango flower and 8 kinds of mushrooms. It was so good. If I wasn't sharing and didn't have so much food in front of me, I swear i would have eaten the entire thing! The beef belly was also a major winner! It came with Kani salad (I'm not much of a fan of mayo so i skipped this) and the 8 mushroom thing again. By the way that mix of eight mushrooms is great. If you are a mushroom freak, as I am, you will devour this side dish and ask for seconds.
I also don't really like ube, but I took a bite of their Ube Parfait, which contained home-made pandan macapuno and sago, and I ended up eating half of it. I also ate half of the Peach Almond Jelly. Nakakahiya ako but the food was so good I couldn't stop eating. They serve the same yummy lemonade as the one in North Park-it's all lemon! No powder or anyting artificial. I am not a fan of lemonade but this one isn't sour, nor is it super sweet because they over compensated with loads of sugar. there was nothing that i didn't like in this cafe. Their menu was very long and there is loads of variety. Expect only a few of your North Park favorites and a whole lot of new things to try out and love.
The place is also very chill. It's an old house converted into a restaurant. Everythign is made of wood and it's so relaxed you can come in chinelas and no one cares. The best part aside from the price and the food is that it's open from 9 am until 2 am and they deliver! They even deliver all the way tot eh Ateneo area (for a minimum order of course-it's a little steeper than if you live in Horseshoe but hey THEY DELIVER!)
I've also been converted. I stopped drinking coffee years ago when I got pregnant with Ananda. Their House Kopi is so good though I drank a whole cup-and I wasn't gagging or forced to-I really liked it! Though I don't think my caffeine desires will ever come back full force, I will order this coffee whenever I eat there-and that will probably be often!
Anyway, this place is great. You can't go wrong with a place that is related to North Park and Tiananmen, but don't get it twisted, it has a personality all its own.


Love, peace and yummy food joes!

2 comments:

KV said...

Mmmm, the food sounds yummy! I better check this out :)

Anonymous said...

can i have the complete address? :) thanks!