Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Savior Complex

I realized that a lot of women, myself included are guilty of this. We see something wrong with a guy, we think we can fix it. We see potential that he isn't using, we try to fix it. He has issues, we try to fix it. In the end we realize we can't and we feel like we somehow failed. I guess what we have to learn is that it's not our responsibility to fix our partner's life, and the only person who can do that is himself.

What happens is that you start to blame yourself and think everything is your fault. It becomes, as ugly as it sounds, a project. If you succeed, you feel good, if you don't, you wonder what you did wrong. The thing is, you didn't do anything wrong, except maybe spoonfeed and live for the other person, when really they should learn for themselves. If he's lazy, let him be lazy, but you should still go and follow your dreams. If he has anger issues, let him be mad at the world, but don't try to change the world to suit him, because that won't help in any way.

We aren't their mothers or psychologists. It's not up to us to change how they view the world, themselves or to fix their ugly parts. We're not the Ghostbusters who are responsible for getting rid of their monsters. We fought our own demons, they should fight theirs, not just because it takes its toll on us to do all this for them, but also because it will benefit them in more ways than one to do it themselves.

I found some old journals the other day, and I was flipping through them and was amazed at my insights and thoughts. I felt like a was relearning so many forgotten lessons-and from-of all people, my younger self! I've been feeling so much better lately, and life is starting to look good to me again.

I'm off to Bora on Friday, but this time, with the little girl. She's never been there so I'm excited to take her for a little mommy-daughter mini-holiday.

xoxo

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Me and my gurlfriend call this our
Wonder Woman syndrome.

We both get attracted to men who have issues, and subconsciously we look at them as our little projects. Later on we realized we get drawn to these guys to fill our desires to be needed. That if we fulfill certain roles in their lives (mother, girlfriend, best friend,etc), they would need us so much that they won't let go of us.

How stupid noh?

Sette said...

Enjoy your holiday with the little lady! Can't wait to see U in May!!!
:D

Anonymous said...

what you said is really true. im married to a lazy guy, i gave up trying to change him and i begin doing exactly what i want to do.. ill bring the kids myself to paris disneyland next month