Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Hafa Adai!

I'm back from a fun but VERY TIRING trip to Guam. I left Friday night at 1030 pm, arrived at 430 am Guam time (They are ahead 2 hours) checked in and got settled by 630 am and had to be ready for breakfast-and all the activities of the day by 9 am!

So, with barely an hour of sleep...We-

...Toured the hotel wth the rest of the Philippine journalists-from beside me: Judith from High Life, Becca from Philippine Star and Cheryl from Lifestyle Asia.

We stayed at a hotel called Pacific Islands Club. It had something like 7 swimming pools and all these water activities. I think it would be the perfect place if you had your kids with you. There is so much for them to do. Otherwise, I'd book a room at the Hyatt (for couples and lone travelers)

...Went to Two Lovers Point. Legend is that this Chamorro (Native Guamanian) Chief wanted his daughter to marry this Spanish guy, but she was in love with a strong Chamorro Warrior. So, much like Romeo and Juliet, they deviced a plan to die together because death was preferable to a life without each other. They tied their hair together in a knot and jumped off a cliff-now known as Two Lovers Point.This is where the two lovers supposedly jumped to their deaths! Young people are crazy, eh?

...Attended this super cool, super yummy event called Pastries in Paradise in another hotel. It was like a contest/exhibit of desserts from all the hotels and restaurants in Guam (I'm actually not sure if it's just the Tumon area or literally the entire Guam) Anyway in these photos are Strawberries dipped in chocolate and rolled in pistachios and a spread of cookies! There were also mini pavlovas, macaroons, panacottas and lots more.


...and as if we weren't stuffed enough from the pastries, we went straight to Jamaican Grill for yummy jerk chicken. The food was like a fusion of Jamaican and Chamorro cuisine. Too bad i was so stuffed, I could only manage half a piece and some rice.

...To cap off our already tiring day, we were brought to two clubs to experience Guam's Night life. In the picture above, we were at Club Pash and below was 80's night at the Globe with Bryan (our Manila GVB Representative) and his friend Vince. We were SO tired already then.

The next day was filled with activity as well. As early as 8 am, we were having breakfast already because we were scheduled to ride a submarine!
I was excited but then disappointed because we didn't see anything cool like sharks or even an octopus or a manta ray or something. At one point we were 140 metres underwater and all I saw was...water-whoopee! haha.

Next we went to Underwater World after lunch. It's like an aquarium. It's kind of small but cool nonetheless because they ahve these giant turtles, mantarays and stuff. It's like the Sydney Aquarium where you walk through a tunnel and the marine life is all above you.
A Shark A shark! Oh btw, on the submarine ride, they started playing the music from Jaws WTF?
Me touching a baby shark. I swear, whenever I'm at aquariums or zoos, I turn into this little kid. I get so excited!
Camwhoring at the Underwater World sign before leaving for DFS (Duty Free!)

Behind us are stores like Hermes (in photos) beside it Louis Vuitton, Chanel,Bally, Bulgari etc. We drooled, we lusted over, but sadly, we were all too short on funds to each nab ourselves a Chanel bag (The ultimate, mother of all bags! Screw Hermes. I don't even like the Birkin!)

We went to the Micronesian Fair after, but I was too tired to take pictures-I thought I was going to pass out so I begged for an early dinner, we all ate in our rooms and rested a little bit-then went to K mart after to splurge on American food that we can't find here.

I got Apple Jacks, Twinkies and Funyuns among other things woohoo. I love it. Bring on the calories.

On our last full day, we SLEPT IN! I still didn't sleep THAT much (around 6 1/2 hours) and we had the morning free. After lunch at Hyatt, we went to GPO (Guam Premier Outlet) and Micronesia Mall to go shopping.

After a really good buffet lunch at Hyatt. I checked my weight here when i got home and I gained three pounds in three days! Ack! Starvation for the next two days!

After the mall, we had our last group dinner at Capricciossa, a Japanese owned Italian restaurant chain (I believe there is one in GB) This is the last photo I have of all the Philippine delagates to Guam on this trip-
Aside from us print media people, the Sports Unlimited crew was there as well. Here we are with Corey Wills, Mark Nelson, Jackie Castillejo (Dianne not in picture) as well as the GVB Philippines marketting Reps Bryan and Michelle and GVB Guam people-who were such good hosts :)

LAst minute shopping at Kmart followed and we had to be ready to go to the airport at 4am. No sleep-again. Today was spent alternating between playign with dada and sleeping. Still not fully recovered. Tonight I will get real rest.

It's always good to be home. I wonder where my feet will take me next :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

are you doing the red carpet pose? haha, that's pretty funny. :)

LorWyn said...

Hi Erica! I love your purple dress! So nice on you! Where did you get that? :)

Aycs said...

I got the dress from Warehouse in Podium hehe. It was on sale! (I don't usually buy there it's so expensive! arg!) but it was 50% so yay for me!

LorWyn said...

Wow! Great steal! Thanks for sharing =)